Advertisment

Sunday 30 March 2014

Which Linux operating system to install

Which Linux operating system to install?

When you open your VPS account you will probably have a choice of Linux operating systems, but most come with Centos 5.x 32-bit as the default. For this project I’m recommending CentOS 5.x 32-bit. I’m selecting CentOS 5.x 32-bit instead of 64-bit because 64-bit uses more memory, and the current version of Kloxo (6.1.15) doesn’t work with CentOS 6.x. That may change with the next version, but we’re stuck with CentOS 5.x for the time being. I have nothing in particular against other common flavors of Linux, but my familiarity is with Red Hat products, which CentOS is based upon. In short, I know where to find things in CentOS, and being based on RHEL (Red Hat Enterprise Linux) it’s considered to be an enterprise product that’s appropriate for production server purposes.

No comments:

Post a Comment